TMA presents outboard motors to fishermen

The Greater Accra Regional Minister, Mr Ishmael Ashitey, has asked fishermen along the coastal areas to ensure good sanitary practices along the beaches.

According to him, unhygienic and poor sanitary practices at the beaches can thwart the country’s efforts at exporting fishes to other countries and earning some foreign exchange.

Mr Ashitey said this at a programme held at the Tema Canoe Beach to distribute some outboard motors to fishermen.

According to him, the programme of distributing outboard motors to Fishermen in Tema was started by the previous government, which the current government would continue.

“I encourage the current MCE to continue with the distribution of the outboard motors since it was a good move by the previous administration”, he noted.

 

He also called for the need for more filling stations at the canoe beaches, as this would stop people who mix gas oil with premix and sell to fishermen.

The Tema Metropolitan Chief Executive (MCE), Mr Felix Annan-La, said the government was very concerned about the country’s fisherfolks and would do everything in their capacity to support them.

He said the assembly would distribute one hundred outboard motors, while more would be added later to cater for the over 760 fishermen.

 

Mr Annan-La noted that the beneficiaries would pay 60 per cent while the government takes the remaining 40 per cent.

He also revealed that plans were underway to organise some training programmes for fishmongers in the metropolis.

 

The Tema Mantse, Nii Adjei Kraku II, who chaired the function also appealed to the fishermen to desist from using light in fishing as the practice depleted the sea of fishes.

 

Story: From Na-Illatu IDDRISU-SIKA, TEMA, GT ACCRA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *