Nyantakyi will be exonerated — CAF executive member

A CAF executive committee member and President of the Liberian Football Association, Musa Bility, believes under-fire Ghana Football Association (GFA) President, Kwesi Nyantakyi, will be exonerated of the fraudulent charges levelled against him.

The 49-year-old has been charged with “defrauding under false pretences” on the orders of Ghana President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, after a documentary produced by Ghanaian journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas, allegedly captured Nyantakyi using names of high-ranking government officials to defraud foreign investors.

Although, Mr.Nyantakyi is still under investigation, Musa believes his colleague was a man of integrity and will survive the charges.

“Kwesi Nyantakyi is a good man. His credibility and integrity are undoubted and everyone at CAF is very confident he will come out clean,” Bility told the media.

“I’m not surprised with the current situation Kwesi Nyantakyi finds himself in his country. This is because allegations of bribery and corruption against football association presidents as well as their involvement in governmental manipulations are gradually becoming normal practices in Africa.

“Many people believe football administrators are corrupt but that’s not the case. Nyantakyi shouldn’t be defined by this current predicament alone since we believe he will be free soon. He has a lot of goods to still offer African football,” he added.

Meanwhile, broadcast rights holders of the Ghana Premier League (GPL), StarTimes Group, have denied frustrating ace investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas, in his attempt to screen his eagerly anticipated documentary on Ghana football titled: Number 12.

Media reports on Saturday afternoon suggested that three days before the premiere of the Number 12 documentary on June 6, Chinese multinational media company, StarTimes, had written to Anas Armeyaw Anas’ Tiger Eye PI warning them not to use any footage of the Ghana Premier League in the exposé.

However, in a statement signed by StarTimes Ghana’s Head of Marketing, Akofa Djankui, the pay television network revealed that it had not yet been approached by Tiger Eye PI or any investigative team for footage on any matches and it is willing to cooperate with any recognized group or agency who require their services for an investigation.

“StarTimes’ attention has been drawn to a publication making the rounds on social media of our refusal to cooperate with Tiger Eye PI on its investigations into issues of Ghana Football,” the statement said.

 

“StarTimes can state categorically that we have not been approached by Tiger Eye PI or any investigative team for footage on any of the GPL matches we have covered so far”.

The statement also urged all well-meaning Ghanaians to ignore such publications.

 

Today Sports
…with Gottlieb Baako (gottlieb.baako@todaygh.com)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *