Ghanaians today joined the rest of the world to mark May Day.
The theme for this year’s International Workers’ Day was: “Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) And Decent Work: The Role Of Social Partners.”
Addressing workers at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium in Kumasi in the Ashanti Region to mark the day in Ghana, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, commenting on the ECG concession agreement for the first time since a bidder was selected assured workers of ECG that none of them would be negatively affected.
President Akufo-Addo stated that no worker of the Electricity Company of Ghana will be sacked due to the ECG concession agreement.
“No worker of the ECG will be negatively affected or laid off due to the ECG concession,” the president stated.
On April 20, 2018, the Millennium Development Authority (MiDA) the entity spearheading the concession process announced that it had selected Meralco Consortium to manage ECG under the compact two power agreement.
Meralco Consortium is led by the Manila Electricity Company from the Philippines.
In a statement, MiDA said Meralco Consortium is known to have the highest combined technical and financial score, and has therefore been designated as the Preferred Bidder.
Per the compact, the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) is expected to inject about 418 million dollars into ECG, while Meralco will invest about 500 million dollars.
BXC Company Limited and Meralco Consortium were the two final bidders after other bidders pulled out of the bidding process.
Earlier, President Akufo-Addo acknowledged the fact that graduate unemployment in particular, and unemployment in general, had been a tragic part of Ghanaian life.
However, he noted that his government had introduced several initiatives including the Nation Builders Corps (NABCO), in order to deal with the situation.
Launching NABCO at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) in Kumasi the President noted that the programme will employ 100,000 youth this year.
He said: “The Nation Builders Corps will employ in this year alone 100,000 young men and women to assist in public service delivery in our country. The grave story of youth unemployment has been a tragic part of our lives for far too long in Ghana.
“Data from the renowned Institute of Statistical, Social and Economic Research (ISSER) published in March 2017 revealed that only 10 per cent of our graduates found jobs after the first year of completing school. That it takes up to 10 years for the graduates to secure employment.
“The World Bank Jobs in Ghana Report published in 2016 revealed that about 48 per cent of the youth in the country, who are between the ages of 15 and 25 years, do not have jobs.
“Indeed, the situation has been worsened by the ban on public sector employment by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and I believe we all know who and what occasioned that ban.
“Today(Referring to Tuesday, May 1), the number of graduates being produced by tertiary institutions have outstripped the number of available jobs”, Nana Akufo-Addo said, adding that in addition to the 100,000 that will be employed through NABCO, 80,000 others will also be given jobs through the Youth Employment Agency (YEA).
Story: Kofi OWUSU TAWIAH
Writer’s email: email@example.com