Fire gutted some four shops at the Sofoline garages late Friday (February 16, 2018) evening, destroying properties worth thousands of Ghana cedis.
The exact cause of the outbreak, which caused serious fear and panic amongst hundreds of mechanic shop owners in the area, is not readily known.
However, there are suspicions of a spark of fire in one of the affected shops.
But for the timely intervention of the fire service, the raging fire would have consumed several other shops in the enclave.
Three of the affected shops were owned by mechanics and had in them filled gas cylinders, carbide, and several other inflammatory items, which they use in their mechanic business in the shops while the fourth was a provisions store with a refrigerator.
Everything in all the four shops were burnt to ashes as there was a delay in raising alarm for assistance to bring the fire under control.
One of the affected shop owners, Kweku Duah, who deals in aluminum equipment and specialises in car gear boxes, said he had lost properties worth over GHC30,000.
“Some of them are works I was doing for people so I have to call them and notify them of what has happened here,” he sadly expressed.
Like many other mechanics in the area, Mr. Duah has no insurance covering his business, a situation which would make it difficult for him to bounce back immediately.
Many of the mechanics whose shops were not affected by the fire expressed profound gratitude to the Ghana National Fire Service for their promptness and professional manner in which they fought the fire.
Meanwhile, the haphazard manner in which vehicles had been parked at the place later became the subject of discussion, as the fire tender initially could not get access to the affected shops.
Story: From James APPIAKORANG JNR., KUMASI, ASHANTI REGION