Elmina Sharks react to attack on Referee Liman

An alleged attack on referee Yakubu Nuhu Liman in the matchday 8 fixture of the Ghana Premier League between Elmina Sharks and Medeama SC at the Nduom Stadium has been rubbished by the club’s team Manager, Kelvin Aboagye.

In a press release to stake their claim of innocence, Kelvin Aboagye said the club under no circumstance tried to incite their supporters to attack the referee as it was being purported by widespread media reports after the match that was abruptly called off after the first half.

Mr. Aboagye revealed that the injury sustained by referee Nuhu Liman was caused as a result of the referee hitting his head on a police baton after slipping from the foyer and not by unknown missiles purported to have thrown by supporters of the club.

A situation, he claimed, the police were witnesses and can attest to.

“Immediately after the whistle went for half time, Elmina Sharks officials, the referees, players and officials made their way to the dressing rooms.  The police escorted referee Nuhu Liman out of the pitch into the dressing room. When the referee got to the foyer, he tripped and fell on one of the policemen present’s baton. The police escorts are witnesses to this.  He sustained an injury to his forehead,” the statement read.

Giving a few observations on the outlook of the stadium before the match, Kelvin Aboagye said the Nduom Stadium was secured enough and will not allow any miscreants to attack referee.

“The Nduom Sports stadium is a secured place where supporters have no access to neither the inner perimeter nor the dressing rooms. On match days the facility is manned by a combined force of Sterlin Protection Security Ltd., and a team of police personnel drawn from the municipal police headquarters. It’s worth noting that for over a year since Elmina Sharks FC made an entry into the premier league, the club has had no issue whatsoever with crowd control and violence at its venue, the Nduom Sports stadium which successfully hosted two matches in last year’s WAFU tournament hosted by Ghana.”

The club’s team manager, however, stated that the club was ready to avail themselves for investigations to ascertain the truth behind the unfortunate ordeal.

“We, at this point wish to state that we’ll collaborate and with any investigation the league organisers wish to launch into the incident to unravel the truth.”


Today Sports
…with Gottlieb Baako (gottlieb.baako@todaygh.com)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *